Monday, February 7, 2011

Western Australia doesn't escape Natures fury

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/


I think its safe to say that nature has the upper hand in Australia.  Floods in Queensland were closely followed by a cyclone of previously unseen strength, the other Eastern states have been sweltering in a long heatwave and here in the West we have had out of control bushfires...There has been worldwide example of natures might lately...Here and Here  Fortunately, no lives were lost in the fires which have swept frighteningly through Roleystone and Kelmscott hills suburbs this weekend.  It is a sobering thought that any spark can start fire with devastating results. It seems some poor man was careless with an angle grinder.  Not long ago one man had a fire in his backyard around here which resulted in the loss of his neighbours house! Even more frightening is that we in Perth seem to have living among us some people who take pleasure in deliberately lighting bushfires.   Its a scary world.  
We live up in the hills because we enjoy the peace and seclusion of being in nature when we retreat from our working life. Do we have to live with the constant worry that we may also be victim of a deliberate act of violence ( as arson surely is...)?  I am philosophical.  I have my photographs (pre-digital) safely stored with Beth in the non-rural suburbs, and we have a plan to not risk life and limb in trying to defend the house against a raging fire.  We grab the dogs and get the hell out before its too late to do so. I hope that's enough. Normally I have no doubt. Today I am a little wobbly on that one. 
Living here means I have to have an existential view of my 'possessions' - If I'm meant to have them in my life then it will all be safe. However, don't be too attached to anything which is 'stuff' - its all replaceable. 


Mentally I've been making a list.  
Books I love which I will never be able to replace as they are out of print....  I have a problem there then, as this weekend people only had time to grab people and animals and no time to pack the car.  and after all, that's the action plan we have agreed on....
Boxes of unmade craft...  No chance of keeping any of that.
Fabric - metre lengths for curtains, fat quarters and scraps ... see above about unmade crafts!
Ornaments and keepsakes lovingly transported from England with us 22 yrs ago.... 
China cups and saucers, used as part of the table setting for our wedding last year.
Ian's hippo collection, ditto the above ... and more...
My wedding dress, not yet made over into something else as planned..
My latest clothing purchases. bought for other peoples weddings and hopefully to wear to special occasions for a few seasons yet....  
The Monet, Van Gogh, Vettriano prints I recently purchased to have framed, (sometime ).
Our cd's videos and mp3 collections we love to watch and listen to. 


The list is starting to look like a litany of unfinished items I might encounter at my retirement...  Is that a wake up call? Not necessarily. I like have things to look towards as I barrel past 50 towards 60. They will still be there and anyway along the way I may take on one or two of the projects... :-) That's a prompt for a whole new line of thought...
However, my point is really, that I have lately come to realise the truth to be found the adage that we should (of course I mean me and not necessarily you, ) be prepared to let go of everything in order to have it around, as in, If I  am happy being prepared to let it go, it will be happy to stay. (There is a story of a boy asked by his priest  to hold a bird in his hands. As he struggled and held the bird tighter to keep it from flying away it struggled more and was in danger of being strangled to death by the boy. The priest  showed the boy how to hold the bird gently and the bird settled contentedly in his hands, unafraid and safe.)


I love everything Ian and I, buy, make or receive as gifts to make it part of this house... Our home. 
My heart breaks to see so many homes destroyed by natures hand. 
I'm tempted to say God willing, that wont happen to me, just by habit from childhood, but I don't believe in a god who is magnanimous or not, depending on whim. I believe in natures need and unrelenting ability to find balance for this earth. We contribute to that balance. How we do that is up to the individual. As long as I know everything has consequences, I can live with my personal behaviour regarding my consumption of its resources. I hope everyone else does and is safe through whatever nature throws our way. I hope those who have recently lost so much, find peace in the coming months and years and find joy in rebuilding. 


Be well.... 




The view down our front garden towards the trees which fill our suburb



The height of the trees over us at the rear of the house



No comments:

Post a Comment